Husqvarna Urban Green Space crowned Durban the greenest city in the world. HUGSI a digital innovation initiative developed by Husqvarna in collaboration with 20tree.ai. The ambition is to help safeguard and improve maintenance of green spaces in urban areas. It utilises computer vision and deep learning techniques on satellite images, HUGSI unveils insights about the size, proportion, distribution, and health of green space in urban areas.
According to the Deputy Head of Parks, Leisure and Cemeteries for eThekwini Municipality, Sibusiso Mkhwanazi, said the recognition was as a result of the city’s greening strategy and policy which directs planting of 80 percent indigenous trees and 20 percent exotic plants.
The category winners are:
1. Durban Highest percentage of urban area covered by trees.
2. Dhaka Best distribution of urban green space.
3. Austin Most urban green space per capital.
4. Brussels Best health of urban vegetation.
5. Durban Highest % of urban green space Highest percentage of urban area covered by grass.
Congratulations Megazone B City!